Classic French-Style Steak au Poivre with a Delicious Cognac Twist
Chef Zoran Stanojkovski of Cuizine Restaurant & Lounge in Satellite Beach shared with us one of his favorite dishes. Below is the recipe you can recreate at home.
“This filet is popular in many steakhouses; however, I have trouble finding the perfect seasoning. I have made this dish to my liking, and it is also a favorite amongst my diners.” —Zoran Stanojkovski
Remy Martin Fillet Mignon, a Classic French-Style au Poivre
- 8 ounces choice grade or above filet mignon
- + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- + 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- + 1 tablespoon butter
- + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- + Pink Himalayan salt
- + Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1. Dredge filet in flour and then dredge in Dijon mustard. Season each side with the salt and pepper, to taste. For a proper au poivre, the pepper is traditionally quite heavy.
- 2. Heat a cast iron skillet on high with 1 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add filet and sear both sides until golden brown.
- 3. Add pan to a heated oven of 400 degrees and bake for approximately 6 minutes for rare, or cook to desired temperature.
Remy Martin Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- + 1/3 cup Remy Martin
- + Pinch of kosher salt
- + 1/2 teaspoon green peppercorn
- + 1/3 cup demi-glacé
- + 1 teaspoon scallions, sliced
- + Splash of heavy cream
- 1. In the same skillet, remove filet and add Dijon mustard and whisk. Add Remy Martin cognac or good quality cognac. Please note this will flame, as the sauce is meant to be a flambé.
- 2. Whisk together and add kosher salt and green peppercorn in brine. If you cannot find green peppercorns, special black cracked pepper may be substituted.
- 3. Reduce mixture and add demi-glacé or brown mix, sliced scallions (green tops only) and heavy cream.
- 4. Bring to a boil and serve on the side or poured over the top. Serve with your choice of potato and vegetable.
Cuizine Restaurant & Lounge, 1790 Highway A1A, Suite 105-108, Satellite Beach, FL 32937 | 321.779.3605 | CuizineRestaurant.com