A Recipe from Zarrella’s Italian & Wood Fired Pizza in Cape Canaveral
For a delicious salad using locally sourced ingredients, consider making a caprese salad, just like those created at Zarrella’s Italian & Wood Fired Pizza in Cape Canaveral, using fresh grape tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese. It’s quick and easy to make, and it can be a light main dish or served as a cool side or starter salad with a meal.
- 10-12 grape tomatoes, halved
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, salted
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced, depending on personal taste
- Ground black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus a small amount for drizzling
- 1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Start by mixing the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and then set aside.
2. Next, place the grape tomatoes and basil in a bowl and season them with salt, black pepper and minced or granulated garlic to taste.
3. Then, add a light drizzle of olive oil to the bowl and gently toss until the ingredients are evenly coated.
4. While that’s resting, slice fresh mozzarella in ½-inch thick wedges.
5. Finally, plate ingredients in front of or on the mozzarella slices and drizzle balsamic/olive oil mixture over the top and serve. For added flavor, you can include a small amount of prosciutto ham on the plate. This provides a nice mix of color, flavor and texture to the dish.
Both the tomatoes and the basil can easily be found at your local farmers market or roadside produce stand if you don’t have a small vegetable and/or herb garden of your own. Remember, for the freshest ingredients offering the best taste, locally grown is always preferable.
Zarrella’s Italian & Wood Fired Pizza, 8801 Astronaut Blvd., Cape Canaveral, FL 32920 | 321.613.3008 | ZarrellasItalianFL.com